Developing Matt

My Technical Journal

Title is not a member of Asp? What the hey?

with 10 comments

I’ve had this problem before, so I’m documenting it here so that I can catch it next time before doing the fruitless research I did this time. The errors are confusing:

Server Error in …. Application. Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: BC30456: ‘Title’ is not a member of ‘ASP.

You could also get this error:

Server Error in …. Application. Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.Compiler Error Message: ASPNET: Make sure that the class defined in this code file matches the ‘inherits’ attribute, and that it extends the correct base class (e.g. Page or UserControl).

If the page contains an SSRS report (report services) you could also get this error:

Server execution failed for ‘bcei02387582m3iij’ (or whatever encrypted class it’s referring to)

Either way you slice it the result is most likely a problem with the code behind page.  Specifically, check out the class.  make sure that it is referenced in the aspx page correctly, and make sure there is only one class with this name in your published site.  This is what turned out to be my problem.   The page/website ran fine on my machine, but when published it failed because I had more than one class with the same name….so when I published it…the name was encrypted and a conflict occurred in the bin directory.

Advertisements

Written by matt

September 28, 2007 at 11:09 am

10 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. We’ve been struggling with this exact error too.
    Can’t equate it to anything. What IS strange is that I copied the same files into 1 website, and then another website… the 2nd website had this error – at which point I recopied the files and it was fine.

    I didn’t re-publish.

    Monty

    May 14, 2008 at 6:48 pm

  2. Thank you very much for this answer. I could have spent quite a bit of time researching this but I got this one hit and it was exactly what I was running into “title is not a member” and my reaction was the same, “What the heck???” and your answer made perfect sense. It is misleading considering you can have the multiple class names in the dev solution running fine but when you publish it you can’t so you’re thinking, “What?? It works in dev! ??” :) Thanks again!

    bill k. ross

    June 25, 2008 at 2:20 pm

  3. I’ve been through all the above and none of it seemed to solve the problem, but the problem was occurring on different pages at different times, so it’s not clear where the problem was. In the end, I blew away the web site and republished it from my development machine. That’s what seems to have worked for me.

    Joe from Hope

    July 7, 2008 at 11:23 am

  4. interesitng. thanks for the feedback joe. i’m guessing that there was a class hiding somewhere with the same name….however the ‘different pages at different times’ doesn’t seem to fit with the scenario.

    matt

    July 8, 2008 at 7:21 am

  5. thanks !!! I had the same problem, coz 2 classes were with same name…’conflict’.thanks all.

    ibrahim

    August 20, 2008 at 11:28 pm

  6. This error can be solved like this…see the code below..this code would be there in your .aspx file.

    here inherits=”test” …is the thing to keep in mind.

    Now go to your .vb file…

    Partial Class Test
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

    remember that Partial class name should be same as the file inherited from( in this case its “Test”).

    syed

    May 2, 2009 at 2:23 am

  7. I had created a master page and a aspx page in the same directory with the same name. search.master and search.aspx. I forgot all about this and once I recreated another aspx page with a different name it work like a charm. I should have known better. Thanks for posting this cause it helped me fix my issue.

    iamtgo3

    July 23, 2009 at 2:19 pm

  8. Thankyou for this answer my problem is now cleared
    thankyou

    velu

    December 27, 2010 at 4:57 am

  9. Thanks so much! I had copied the page under another name but left the class statement the same. This as saved me hours.

    daryl eaton

    July 10, 2012 at 8:50 am

  10. Thanks for this solution. It happened to me because I wanted to make a copy of an existing page, and I naively did a “Save as…” thinking it would automatically create the code behind page and set the directive accordingly. Of course, it did not, and I would up with two different pages sharing the same code file.

    kentuckyfreethinker

    October 15, 2012 at 9:25 am


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: